Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Taco Soup

I haven't tried this recipe but I am thinking it might be good sometime soon. Just don't tell Rod about the TVP - what he doesn't know won't hurt him!!!!


Taco Soup

1 c. dry TVP
1 8 oz. jar salsa
2 cans black beans
1 can corn niblets
2 cans diced tomatoes (I like the ones with garlic)
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 package taco seasoning

Reconstitute TVP in salsa. Open all cans and packages, put in Crock pot and stir. Cook on low in Crock pot for at least 4 hours. Or, put everything in a pot, bring to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes. This soup is best after it sits for a while, so the leftovers are usually better than the first batch. For this reason, I think it tastes best cooked in the Crock pot (plus it's easy to do in the morning and then let it go), but either way will do. The soup is best with tortilla chips.

We had a historic day at the Dennis house today - we lost 5 teeth!!! While we were on vacation Ben told me that his tooth hurt - when I looked in his mouth - there was a huge new tooth coming in behind his two bottom front teeth. I called the Dentist on Monday and got him in for early Wed morning. They ended up pulling 4 bottom front teeth as the new teeth coming in were going to be too big for just the room left by the 2 old ones. The dentist said that they will most likely have to pull 2 more teeth all the way around as new teeth come in. I think he is sending his kids to private school and just looking for financing!! Meanwhile back in Lind at summer school, Bailey pulled one of her bottom front teeth out all by herself! It had been wiggly since our trip to China but she just got serious about it coming out when she found out that Ben might get his out first!!!! I will take a picture of the toothless duo and post it tomorrow - batteries need charged in the camera!
The kids are all taking swimming lessons and doing really well. Bailey, Ben & Ethan are working on swimming across the pool - Bailey & Ethan are almost there - Ben is getting closer too. Emma is starting to put her head under water and blow bubbles and is kicking her feet like a pro. We will have a school of fishies in no time!!!

3 comments:

Darla said...

Janice,
Thanks for the recipe... Don't give up on us... I'm back I think *lol*
Hope your summer is going good...

Aunt Codi said...

Jaz & I are making the Taco Soup today. I don't use tofu either so we made it with hamburger. Terrell and I made the Lemonade Pie which was awesome. I will make that again for sure. The Taco Soup looks good also, still has a couple of more hours to cook. Thanks for the recipes.

Aunt Codi said...

The Taco Soup was good. The only suggestion I would have is a little more taco seasoning. Everyone here ate lots!