Friday, March 9, 2007

Large Families

I just saw this excerpt on another website and just had to pass it on. I'm not sure what it is out of as the website just lists it as "excerpted from book." I always thought that 3 or 4 was a small family - but in the last couple of years I have heard remarks about my "large" family. I guess you have a whole different frame of reference when you are #9 in a family. Now to me, 12 is a large family!!!LOL!! A couple of these did hit really close to home - especially the scotch tape one. I think Ben would be as happy as a clam if someone gave him a whole box of scotch tape for a birthday present - he seems to be infatuated with it!

Emma News: We received our Letter of Acceptance from our agency on Wednesday - for some reason they sent it 2nd day FedEx and since it had to be back to them by Friday morning, I chased Rod down in the field, got him to sign it and then sped on into Moses Lake to get it in the FedEx box so it would definitely be there in time for them to send it to China today!!! The normal timeframe for Travel Approval has been running 2 weeks after Letter of Acceptance so we are hoping to hear something in the next two weeks!!

MOTHERING A MULTITUDE

The mother of a multitude has some characteristics not always seen or experienced in small-to-medium families.

Multiple mothering requires that you stockpile hand-me-downs until you could open your own thrift shop. It’s taking two carts and a husband to handle the overflow when you do your grocery shopping. It’s never having a problem with leftovers because there aren’t any.

It’s wondering what happened to your tulip bed but knowing better than to ask. It’s never being lonely, yet fighting for a moment of solitude. It’s peeling potatoes until you rue the day Idaho joined the Union. It’s wishing you could have just one roll of Scotch tape to call your own.

It’s giving repeated thanks for the services of electricity, running water, Frigidaire, General Mills, an all-weather house, a healthy body, and the indefatigability of the Holy Spirit.

(Excerpted from book)

1 comment:

Darla said...

Oh Janice, I know exactly what you mean.. When I tell people I have 5 kids... Oh I get the strangest looks.. Can't wait to hear when you get to go get Emma.... I bet the suspense is killing you...

Hang in there.. Have a great day